 |
| Wednesday, March 28, 2007 |
|
Sharp shadows and lengthy days
|
It was around noon. I was at the dorm, hanging around at my friend's room. I looked outside the window, squinted at the strong sunshine, and felt the balmy breeze even as it sifted through the trees outside... it was strange.
The day was hot, as hot as any day could get in tropical Philippines, but nonetheless beautiful. This world, and all of Creation, even in its fallen state, still retains and reflects much of the beauty and glory of its Maker. (Think Romans 1:19-20) But I felt weird in that the realization that summer is now upon us suddenly made me nostalgic. And the memories, though some already vague and blurred by time, would resurface... of a childhood that passed in the countryside, of carefree summer vacations often spent at the beach, and of clear evening skies that bathed the nightscape in silvery moonlight and moonshadows...
Summer is here. You need only notice the bright, hot and long days; or the sharper shadows in contrast with the glaring sunlight; or the unmistakable summer breeze. (If you don't notice any of these things, then there are only two possibilities: 1.) You had a deprived childhood growing up in this drab and monotonous metropolis where everything is in concrete or asphalt... 2.) You're not from here and haven't spent a single summer in this part of the world...)
My summers back then were so much more pleasant. For one, I don't remember them being as hot as these past few ones have been. The specter of climate change and global warming, perhaps? I believe so. And back then, summer was a real break - it was the vacation... a time to enjoy and forget about the cares of the classroom and schoolwork... a time for the family to be together, either in trips, at the beach, or just over lunch with ice-cold watermelons for dessert...
But now, I'm spending the summer taking classes here in the metro. Summer isn't so much something to be enjoyed anymore, but time to be spent productively. (Whatever that means...) Ah, things were so much simpler back then...
The meanings of the seasons may have changed, but I believe it's still nice to look back and reminisce. What for, you might ask? Can we still bring things back to the way they were before?
Maybe not; but the memories are there so that we don't forget what we had and who we were. They allow us to carry parts of our past with us, even as we move on with whatever it is that's in store for us up ahead... and if need be, to bring us back so that we can relive, at least in our minds, those seasons that have long since gone. Even if they are just memories, they're all we have left.Labels: inside the self |
posted by remrick @ 5:47 PM  |
|
| 1 Comments: |
-
so true, summer in the province is so so much pleasant. :) i wanna go to the freakin beach! waaah! beach! happy summer :)
|
| |
| << Home |
| |
|
|
Ranting away... | Blogger Templates by Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without permission.
Learn how to Make Money Online at GeckoandFly
|
| |

|
| |
|
|
| About Me |
|

Name: remrick
Home: Surigao City, Philippines
About Me: Let me tell you what I'm not:
I am not predisposed to bare my guts and soul here in the internet for the whole world to see just for the sake of it. It's just that I like writing, in the free and unstructured way that blogging provides for. I simply want to express what I think and feel. Is that too much to ask? Which leads me to my next point...
I am not invulnerable, in spite of all my attempts to put on a face of cool composure, and desperately wanting I was good enough to fool myself.
In short, I am not really what I seem.
So, would you still take my ramblings seriously?
See my complete profile
|
| Previous Posts |
|
| Archives |
|
| Old blogs |
|
| Friends |
|
| Interesting Sites |
|
| Groups |
|
| Affiliates |
|


|
|
|
so true, summer in the province is so so much pleasant. :) i wanna go to the freakin beach! waaah! beach!
happy summer :)