 |
| Wednesday, March 28, 2007 |
|
Grand deception
|
It was supposed to be our exam in Mathematical Economics. But at the end of the afternoon, I went back home not knowing what it actually was, or what it had turned out to be. Flashback: We nervously await Ma'am Navarro's arrival to collect our homework and start the exam. She appears and walks towards us. My classmate comments: "Aba, nakangiti pa si ma'am ngayon ah..." I couldn't help but agree. She was smiling to herself. She calls for the two sections to meet in SE 127. After settling everybody down, she asks: "Did you study hard for the exams?" Serious faces grimly nod and say yes. She smiles again, and announces the news that would turn our world upside down: "You are not required to take the final exam. It is optional." We stare incredulously at her, and look at each other in disbelief. She starts giving out cards to each one of us, with our class standing written on them. I get a 2.25; not bad, really, better than expected. And I don't have to take the finals. Our professor starts to segregate the class into those who would be taking the finals and those who won't, and presents two options: 1.) Take the finals, and you're grade can improve or be worse off than before. 2.) Don't take the finals and do the activity I'll be assigning for you. I chose option #2, and she explains it to us. Those who won't be taking the exam are going to answer and submit a seatwork, which won't be graded, but must be accomplished with correct answers and solutions along with our homework, for us to "learn." We are free to consult each other and open our notes, but we have to answer and solve the problems correctly. At first she said she would only be giving a maximum of a 10% demerit to our grade if we didn't do well in the seatwork. But after some time, she returns to the room and writes down that we have to submit the seatwork and homework, with correct answers and solutions, in order for us to get a "passing grade" - whatever that means(!?). But we were too absorbed in the task at hand. We answered all the problems, but we weren't really quite sure if they were all correct. At 4 pm, I pass my paper. I leave the School of Economics, lightheaded and distraught. Now, here I am still trying to make some sense of just what exactly had transpired this afternoon. Does it mean that if we don't answer all of them correctly, we get a 5 or an INC? Do we fail the subject if we get no less than a perfect score in our seatwork and homework? I don't know whether I should be happy about it or have more reason to worry. God does answer our prayers in extraordinary ways. Sometimes we just can't make sense of them, but one thing's certain: in the end they always turn out for the best. And come to think of it, God has never - not once - let me down. Indeed, great is His faithfulness.Labels: rantings |
posted by remrick @ 5:46 PM  |
|
|
|
Ranting away... | Blogger Templates by Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without permission.
Learn how to Make Money Online at GeckoandFly
|
| |

|
| |
|
|
| About Me |
|

Name: remrick
Home: Surigao City, Philippines
About Me: Let me tell you what I'm not:
I am not predisposed to bare my guts and soul here in the internet for the whole world to see just for the sake of it. It's just that I like writing, in the free and unstructured way that blogging provides for. I simply want to express what I think and feel. Is that too much to ask? Which leads me to my next point...
I am not invulnerable, in spite of all my attempts to put on a face of cool composure, and desperately wanting I was good enough to fool myself.
In short, I am not really what I seem.
So, would you still take my ramblings seriously?
See my complete profile
|
| Previous Posts |
|
| Archives |
|
| Old blogs |
|
| Friends |
|
| Interesting Sites |
|
| Groups |
|
| Affiliates |
|


|
|
|