Ranting away...

Wednesday, January 02, 2008
broken silence

… But even after our arduous tree planting activity, the day still wasn’t over for me. After a quick outfit change and depositing my mud-splotched backpack at a department store, I went off to a party/batch-get-together at a friend’s house. I just couldn’t refuse Lynlen, a close friend in high school, and we also hadn’t seen each other in quite some time. My high school friends and batch mates were there, and I was famished. I think I even had too much wine and my friends commented how I seemed to singlehandedly gulp down a pitcher of spiked juice. I told them I was just thirsty, and they just laughed it off, saying “Iba pala kapag na-uhaw si Rem…” But in truth, I really was just thirsty after all that I’d been through that day. But the sudden flood of alcohol in my system did make me a bit drowsy and tipsy. But that was just for a while. I enjoyed the company and the conversations, especially with some of my closest friends in high school. Tantan even came over after I texted him. He was one of my research group mates and buddies in high school. It’s been over a year since I last saw him.

And it was in one conversation that I realized that the reason why I will always cherish my time in high school is because high school really made me grow and enriched me as a person. Len recounted how my sister had once told her that she had always wondered how I’d gained friends when I wouldn’t even talk people. My sister was right, I seldom talked to people willingly and would prefer to brood in silence alone. I had gained a reputation at school as being “suplado” and ”isnabero.” But all that changed when I went to high school. I can say that I really grew a lot as a person during those four years filled with so many enriching experiences, both of the happy and the heart-breaking sorts. It was my friends who broke my silence. And they’ve broken my silence yet again.

It was already past ten when we left the house. But after we had dropped off about 5 people, they decided to while some time in a local hotel to just listen to the live music. It was about 10:30 pm already and they said we’d only stay till 11 pm, so Alphy and I tagged along with the 3 girls. As it turned out, we didn’t even notice the time and before we knew it, it was already past 11:30 pm. We left shortly, but another batch mate whom we haven’t seen in quite some time texted us and wanted to meet up. So we dropped by too, and all the conversations and teasing took up our time. Yes, they were teasing her, and me, again. They’ve been doing that for, what, 8 years now? I’d just give them a look and say: “Get over it.” She’d just laugh it off.

So all in all, it was past 12 midnight when I got home. It was a very looong day, and after all I’d done, it was a wonder I didn’t immediately collapse on my bed.

I guess friends not only thaw the cold with their warmth, but their mere company lends strength to even the weariest of souls. In a way, it’s something magical, too.

Labels:

posted by remrick @ 4:30 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

© 2006 Ranting away... | Blogger Templates by Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without permission.
Learn how to Make Money Online at GeckoandFly

 


 

 



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Web This Blog
About Me


Name: remrick
Home: Surigao City, Philippines
About Me: Let me tell you what I'm not: I am not predisposed to bare my guts and soul here in the internet for the whole world to see just for the sake of it. It's just that I like writing, in the free and unstructured way that blogging provides for. I simply want to express what I think and feel. Is that too much to ask? Which leads me to my next point... I am not invulnerable, in spite of all my attempts to put on a face of cool composure, and desperately wanting I was good enough to fool myself. In short, I am not really what I seem. So, would you still take my ramblings seriously?
See my complete profile

Previous Posts
Archives
Old blogs
Friends
Interesting Sites
Groups
Affiliates

Powered by Blogger
make money online blogger templates