 |
| Saturday, December 01, 2007 |
|
woodpusher
|
I can't believe it's been three years...
Three long years have passed since I last pushed wooden figures across a checkered board... three years since my last game of chess... Yep, it's been that long.
That's why it was such a refreshing treat to relive the experience again one cold Wednesday night. It made me nostalgic; brought back fond memories of the first 'sport' I learned to play and the only one I ever really had much of a passion for. After all, chess is a highly intellectual game . Let's just say that my mind enjoyed the mental exercise.
To play again was such a delight. My opponents, both younger than me, gave me a hard time. What's with kids these days? They not only get 1.0s in Math17, they're also quite unforgiving when it comes to even the most ordinary mental games. Sheesh. As it turns out, it was a battle of minds. The sharper, the better. Their cold, calculating heads versus my old instincts and rusty moves.
Well, I won, of course. Four straight games and wins, all in all. Perhaps age and experience do matter, after all. Finally, something good about being old. Not to brag though, but make no mistake those guys were definitely not pushovers. They're really quite good. They going to represent our corridor in the Men's chess championship in our dorm's sports fest. Just one win shy of the top spot, in fact.
But I wonder, what if life were just one big chess game? If only every move could be thought out in advance... If only the goals and distinctions were as clear as black and white...If only the pieces all knew their places and functions... If only every pawn, or every piece for that matter, were willing to sacrifice for others... for their King? If only things were so simple...
    Hah... If only success came automatically came with age and experience... Sigh, here I go again... Rem ranting on...Labels: rantings |
posted by remrick @ 2:18 PM  |
|
| 1 Comments: |
-
Chess is mentally challenging indeed. It just so happens I'm not so good at it. I get sleepy looking at the checkered board.
Congrats for winning!
|
| |
| << Home |
| |
|
|
Ranting away... | Blogger Templates by Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without permission.
Learn how to Make Money Online at GeckoandFly
|
| |

|
| |
|
|
| About Me |
|

Name: remrick
Home: Surigao City, Philippines
About Me: Let me tell you what I'm not:
I am not predisposed to bare my guts and soul here in the internet for the whole world to see just for the sake of it. It's just that I like writing, in the free and unstructured way that blogging provides for. I simply want to express what I think and feel. Is that too much to ask? Which leads me to my next point...
I am not invulnerable, in spite of all my attempts to put on a face of cool composure, and desperately wanting I was good enough to fool myself.
In short, I am not really what I seem.
So, would you still take my ramblings seriously?
See my complete profile
|
| Previous Posts |
|
| Archives |
|
| Old blogs |
|
| Friends |
|
| Interesting Sites |
|
| Groups |
|
| Affiliates |
|


|
|
|
Chess is mentally challenging indeed. It just so happens I'm not so good at it. I get sleepy looking at the checkered board.
Congrats for winning!