 |
| Saturday, November 17, 2007 |
|
My classes...
|
Quotable quotes from my professors...
Course number: Economics 151 Course Title: Public Economics Professor: Dr. Felipe Medalla
On UP's Basilan property: "Some properties are not making money, just making headaches."
On Excise taxes: "If you love to drive, drink and smoke... then you are contributing to the National Treasury."
On the likelihood of dying: "The likelihood of being killed by your own relative is greater than that of being killed by a stranger. Why? Because with strangers, you don't share inheritance. There's no interest in killing you."
On the intangibles: "The health of the economy depends on you keeping what you deserve - your life, your liberty, and your property."
"Who can take away your liberty? Well... your wife."
On land reform: "In China, when they did land reform they just killed the landowners and distributed the land... and asked the rest: "Now, who wants to give their land?""
On a town in Batangas: "Why is it called Mataas na Kahoy? When you go there, the trees are not very tall. So my explanation is, the people must be very short."
On just compensation by the government: "No, the sentimental value (of this house) is too high. Give me... 90% of GDP!"
On the rule of law: "...then it is important to maintain rules in society. If the rules are absent, then what's to protect you from any arbitrary action (by the State)?"
On the importance of Public Finance: "Is it efficient?... Is it fair? Is it just? These are the questions we need to ask in Public Finance. Now, of course, it may not be just, it may not be fair... but I want it... What am I in power for?" *smiles*
Course number: Philosophy 130 Course Title: Metaphysics Professor: Dr. Anna Liza Ocampo
On UP's goal of liberal education: "Liberal education is not liberal education without Philosophy."
On the best things in life: "The best things in life are not free. The best things in life are not 'things'. The best things in life are unchanging and non-material."
Course number: Economics 121 Course Title: The Economics of Money and Banking Professor: Dr. Cayetano Paderanga
On Business Administration (BA) majors in our class: "BA? Why are you here? Don't you just add and subtract over there? ... and take down notes?"
On moral hazard in finance ( a digression): "Sometimes being immoral is pleasurable... but you can only do it so many times. Otherwise, people will know about it. So being immoral requires deep thinking... because you may never be able to do it again."
On making money: "What do you to make a lot of money? You don't take Economics, you get an MBA - very easy, but you make a lot of money. In Economics, you don't make a lot of money, but you do get a lot of glory."
On microfinance for the poor: "In this world, there are no warm hearts - only cold minds."Labels: rantings |
posted by remrick @ 2:11 PM  |
|
|
|
Ranting away... | Blogger Templates by Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without permission.
Learn how to Make Money Online at GeckoandFly
|
| |

|
| |
|
|
| About Me |
|

Name: remrick
Home: Surigao City, Philippines
About Me: Let me tell you what I'm not:
I am not predisposed to bare my guts and soul here in the internet for the whole world to see just for the sake of it. It's just that I like writing, in the free and unstructured way that blogging provides for. I simply want to express what I think and feel. Is that too much to ask? Which leads me to my next point...
I am not invulnerable, in spite of all my attempts to put on a face of cool composure, and desperately wanting I was good enough to fool myself.
In short, I am not really what I seem.
So, would you still take my ramblings seriously?
See my complete profile
|
| Previous Posts |
|
| Archives |
|
| Old blogs |
|
| Friends |
|
| Interesting Sites |
|
| Groups |
|
| Affiliates |
|


|
|
|