 |
| Thursday, February 14, 2008 |
|
chocolates on valentine's day
|
I'm wearing black today.
No, I am not bitter about love. I just wanted to wear black because: 1.) I had a very long exam in public finance earlier today; 2.) we're supposed to wear black in a group presentation in another class; and 3.) I want to be different from everyone else wearing red or some other bright color. Believe me, I've nothing against people who celebrate valentine's. I'm just not a valentine's person.
But I did receive a present today. I got a box of chocolates from my English professor. Well, actually it wasn't really a box. More like a small heart-shaped container with three pieces of chocolate inside. Anyway, the story is that as our homework we were to bring a copy of our favorite love poems to class. Ma'am Laurel apparently expected us to memorize our poems. She was a bit disappointed, and asked if anyone could recite even just a stanza of his/her poem. I brought Pablo Neruda's Sonnet XVII and recited the first four lines. (By the way, it's a very beautiful poem.) Then she took out the chocolates and gave it to me as a "reward" for knowing a few lines and the title and author of my poem. It was really unexpected. Thanks ma'am. And for whatever its worth, happy hearts day, too. This time I'm joining in with everyone else: happy valentine's day!
Here's Sonnet XVII by Pablo Neruda:
I do not love you as if you were the salt-rose, topaz or arrow of carnations that propagate fire: I love you as certain dark things are loved, secretly, between the shadow and the soul.
I love you as the plant that doesn't bloom and carries hidden within itself the light of those flowers, and thanks to your love, darkly in my body lives the dense fragrance that rises from the earth.
I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where, I love you simply, without problems or pride: I love you in this way because I don't know any other way of loving
but this, in which there is no I or you, so intimate that your hand upon my chest is my hand, so intimate that when I fall asleep it is your eyes that close. |
posted by remrick @ 4:54 PM  |
|
|
|
Ranting away... | Blogger Templates by Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without permission.
Learn how to Make Money Online at GeckoandFly
|
| |

|
| |
|
|
| About Me |
|

Name: remrick
Home: Surigao City, Philippines
About Me: Let me tell you what I'm not:
I am not predisposed to bare my guts and soul here in the internet for the whole world to see just for the sake of it. It's just that I like writing, in the free and unstructured way that blogging provides for. I simply want to express what I think and feel. Is that too much to ask? Which leads me to my next point...
I am not invulnerable, in spite of all my attempts to put on a face of cool composure, and desperately wanting I was good enough to fool myself.
In short, I am not really what I seem.
So, would you still take my ramblings seriously?
See my complete profile
|
| Previous Posts |
|
| Archives |
|
| Old blogs |
|
| Friends |
|
| Interesting Sites |
|
| Groups |
|
| Affiliates |
|


|
|
|